Saturday, December 14, 2013

The City of Eternal Spring: An Introduction

I am now in Cochabamba. After arriving in La Paz on Wednesday, I spent the day unpacking, trying not to pass out from exhaustion, and walking hopelessly up and down (I mean up and down literally) the streets of La Paz with no map trying fruitlessly to find a new battery for my cell phone.

That night we took a taxi to the airport. There was traffic and we arrived 30 minutes before our departure time. We checked in, paid the airport tax, went through security, (guys, you don't have to take your shoes off in Bolivia!) and were in line for boarding 15 minutes before departure. It was one of those, "this could never ever happen in the United States" moments.

I've been in Cochabamba since Wednesday night. I love this city. I really do.

At first it didn't really feel familiar; three years is a long time. But then I started to recognize different landmarks, streets, restaurants and the memories came flooding back. I got so excited when I saw some of the places I haven't seen in three years.

AND THE FOOD.

I'm staying with Tupac and his family. I feel pretty honored to be able to stay here for a while. His father is Ismael, one of my academic directors when I studied abroad here with SIT, someone who has been very inspiring to me ever since I met him. There is no way I can describe him in a way that does him justice. For now I'll just say that he knows how to live more than anyone else I've ever met. His wife, Lupe, is also incredible. There is a kind of energy in the house that is hard to describe. It's really beautiful. And there is so much I can learn from them.

Ismael and Lupe playing the gongs

We're here until the end of the Kickstarter campaign (we're in the final push, people, donate now! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53669993/the-little-prince-of-the-andes) and then we go back to La Paz. Honestly I wish I had a little bit more time here. I'll just have to come back.

I have a working cell phone now thanks to the patient help of Ismael's 13 year old son. I also spent a bit of time walking around Cochabamba, reacquainting myself with the extreme lack of cars-following-traffic-rules. Red lights are more like a guideline, anyway. If there are no cars coming towards you why should you wait? Really, just go.

I also went out the past couple nights with a friend from last time I was in Bolivia and reminiscing was really wonderful. I met people from all over the world. I love how I never know what will happen, who I will meet. There was also a meteor shower last night that I saw from a rooftop.

I keep saying that I'm happy to be here. I really am. I know there will be hard days; I will get homesick, I'll probably get regular sick. I will be uncomfortable, I will have trouble communicating, I will be lonely, I will be bored, I will be tired. But I'm okay with all of that. This is where I want to be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment